Low Back Pain
Low back pain is practically an epidemic within the American population. Many studies have stated that up to 85% of people will experience an episode of low back pain at some point in their lifetime. The causes of low back pain are many and varied and the result is millions of dollars spent every year to treat the condition.
In most cases, back pain is relatively benign and lessens naturally over a period of a few days. However, it is not uncommon to experience severe pain. For this reason, it is important to begin treating low back conservatively with manual therapy, including chiropractic care, physical therapy, and some medication, when appropriate.
Some common back pain causes that respond well to chiropractic treatment include:
- Disc Herniations: Radiating pain into the legs; worse in the morning; worse with bending forward; usually better standing than sitting.
- Sciatica: Radiating pain into the lower extremity on the posterior thigh and leg.
- Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction: Pain over the dimples in your back, usually present following lifting or straightening up from a stooped position. The pain is usually relieved with sitting or lying down.
- Piriformis Syndrome: Radiating pain on the posterior thigh and leg.
- Back Spasms: Severe spasms within the back that feel sharp with pressure.
- Facet Syndrome: Pain in the low back that is local and provoked with extension.
- Meralgia Paresthetica: Numbness on the anterior lateral thigh, especially when seated.
- Stenosis: Back or leg pain, usually unilaterally, that is worse when walking or extending.
- Sprain/Strains: A result of trauma suffered during athletic activity, a car accident, or heavy lifting with poor form.
- Spondylolishthesis: A fracture of the vertebrae resulting in pain with extension. This is frequent in gymnasts, football players, wrestlers, and weight lifters.
In so many cases, low back pain responds exceptionally well to chiropractic care, and several studies have proven that chiropractic care is effective in treating this condition. If you’re suffering from low back pain of any type and whatever the cause, begin your diagnosis and treatment at our Johnston chiropractic office. Our mission is to relieve your pain as swiftly and completely as possible. We have every expectation that our treatment will help you Work Hard. Play Harder. Expect More.